There's nothing like a warm, melty, grilled cheese sandwich - cut diagonally of course. My dad used to make grilled cheese with Canadian Bacon, to which I would always crinkle my nose. Adding anything to this classic sandwich was totally against the rules in my mind. But here I am now putting a whole new twist on the sacred classic...and I have to say, it was well worth it! These delicious sandwiches taste almost like a mozzarella stick, but are way easier to make.
Grilled Mozzarella Cheese Sandwiches
You will need:
4 slices Udi's White Sandwich Bread (my absolute favorite GF bread!)
4 slices Kraft Mozzarella Cheese
2-4 tablespoons butter
Basil, to taste
Your favorite marinara sauce (I used Prego Fresh Mushroom pasta sauce)
1) Coat one side of each slice of bread with butter. Make sure you use a little more than you think you should. Sprinkle a bit of basil on the buttered side of each slice.
2) Pre-heat a pan to medium heat and then lower the temperature to slightly below medium. In the heated pan, place one slice of bread buttered side down; top with two slices of cheese and then another slice of bread, buttered side out.
3) Cook sandwich for 2 to 4 minutes on one side, flip, and cook an additional 2 to 4 minutes or until sandwich is golden-brown on each side.
4) Repeat steps one through three for each additional sandwich.
5) Serve with marinara or your favorite pasta sauce. For a twist, you could easily add pepperoni to your sandwich prior to cooking!